Hospital in the Home
The team is made up of medical and nursing staff. Nurses visits occur between 8am and 4.30pm and are available by phone 24 hours a day. Medical support is provided 24 hours a day.
People admitted to the program are still considered inpatients and remain under the care of their treating hospital doctor at Wonthaggi Hospital.
The patient is visited by a member of the HITH team. In some situations, the patient may be asked to return to the hospital for part of their treatment or for further investigation or review.
Who is eligible?
- Patients deemed stable enough to go home
- Patients with a medical issue that requires inpatient care
- Patients who have someone at home or nearby who can render assistance 24/7 if required
- Patients who have access to transport 24/7
- Patients who have access to a telephone
- Patients who live within the Bass Coast region
What types of illnesses/conditions are eligible?
This varies from service to service. Bass Coast HITH eligible conditions include but are not limited to:
- Intravenous Antibiotics for Management of:
- Short term infections such as, urinary sepsis, cellulitis, bursitis, chest infections
- Long term infections such as wound infections, endocarditis, osteomyelitis
- Anticoagulation management for:
Pre and post-surgical
Prophylaxis against further embolic events
- Breast care and drain tube management post-surgery
- Cardiothoracic post-surgical care
- Follow-up care for clients undergoing same day surgery
- Complex wound care management
- Patients requiring methylprednisolone for Multiple Sclerosis
- Peritoneal dialysis antibiotic treatments
- Management of patients with TB or Syphilis
- Trial of void for short-term catheter management
Intravenous iron replacement in Residential Aged Care Facilities
To refer a patient to the Bass Coast HITH program please call: (03) 5671 3439.
Send completed referral documentation to email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Referral documentation below -